Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thing #8: Facebook

Oh, dear, this is the one thing I've been dreading. Privacy is important to me. Facebook owns any content you upload. You can pick up stalkers. Although I enjoy reading about my librarian colleagues, some of the posts I've read make my eyes bug out because they just let it all hang out.

At one of my first professional positions, I used to argue the privacy issue with one of the engineers there over and over again. He would say, "What are they going to do to you if such-&-such information becomes public?" (This was pre-Internet, ha!) I'd say, "Fire you." He'd say, "They can't do that, you could sue them for wrongful discharge." Yeah, right. An example would be disclosing you have some sort of degenerative disease. (Which I don't, but that's my concern, not anyone else's. That's the point!) Corporate management (especially in Texas) is fairly unscrupulous and they'd make up some excuse to get you off the payroll.

If only there were a benevolent moderator out there who would hide items that were too descriptive of who you are and where you work or live—it's just sad how someone can cash in on having that knowledge. I know I sound paranoid. I can't help it.

Doing thing #8 will have to wait for this weekend, when I can set up my Facebook site at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment